The McLean Islamic Center provides Nikah services at the Center or off site. Our director and licensed Civil Celebrant is authorized to perform such services anywhere in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Couple must meet all Islamic requirements for marriage
- Couple (the groom at a minimum) shall meet with person performing Ceremony prior to marriage
- The couple must obtain a marriage license prior to the Nikah Ceremony.
- To request a Nikah Ceremony at MIC, the couple must submit their request via email or phone at the contact listed below. This request shall be received at least 2 weeks in advance of the ceremony.
- The Nikah Ceremony can be arranged at MIC or at an offsite location.
- Proof of identity of the couple will be required.
- Two Muslim males who know the couple or at least know the bride must be present, as witnesses during the ceremony.
- A Wakeel / guardian for the bride, regardless of bride’s age or prior marital status must be present, at and during the marriage ceremony.
- Although MIC does not explicitly charge a fee for officiating Nikah ceremonies, we encourage participants to donate to the Center so that we can provide similar services to the community at large.
Virginia Marriage License Requirements
- Parties must complete and apply online or at the courthouse
- Both applicants must be 18 years of age, unless emancipated by a court order
- Both applicants must appear in person with a valid government-issued photo identification, including foreign identification legible in English
- Fee for a marriage license ($30 typical- payable by cash or credit card)
- Birth names of both parents
- Appointment must be scheduled prior to arriving to the courthouse
- Marriage license is valid for 60 days from the date of issue and is to be used for a marriage ceremony in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Marriage license can’t be issued retroactively
- Marriage license/certificate can’t be issued to document a marriage that had taken place outside the United States; legal marriages that take place overseas are recognized as legal and documentation supplied by a foreign agency will serve as proof of marriage
- Unused/expired marriage licenses must be returned back to the Clerk’s Office (Virginia Code § 20-21)
- Officiant will retain both copies of the marriage license and shall file it with the Clerk of the Circuit Court within 5 days following the ceremony (Virginia Code §32.1-267 (C))